- Here I was, thinking that I’m Seth McClung’s biggest fan, when it turns out that honor clearly belongs to Cam Huffman, Sports Editor at the Register Herald in Beckley, West Virginia. Says Huffman:
Greenbrier East High School graduate Seth McClung has done about everything on a baseball diamond. He’s played six seasons in the big leagues, where he won 26 games, recorded six saves and struck out 314 hitters that have made it to the sport’s biggest stage.
- McClung has 34 losses to go with his 26 victories, and 254 walks to go with his 314 strikeouts–to date he has a 5.46 ERA in parts of six Major League seasons. but hey, we’re not here to be negative– Like I said, huge McClung fan here.
- Anyways, it looks like he’s signed a minor-league deal with the Pirates. McClung has played in Taiwan and Mexico recently, in addition to minor league stints with numerous organizations. The 32-year old righty hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2009 with the Brewers.
- McClung was drafted by the D-Rays in 1999, and he made his debut with the big club on Opening Day, and he got the win in his first appearance. He pitched two no-hit innings in a 6-4 Tampa Bay victory over the Red Sox.
- Make no mistake: THE PIRATES ARE GETTING A STEAL HERE. Bold prediction: McClung makes that Pirates pitching staff!